Follow the links below to my other blogs

Sunday, April 12, 2009

Burr Pond

On my trip to Connecticut today I stopped to visit one of my favorite places, Burr Pond. I have walked, run and kayaked Burr Pond more times than I can count, in every season and just about every kind of weather. I have more pictures of Burr Pond than any other location. But I wanted to go again today, to revisit my old haunt and take more pictures for this blog.

Burr Pond was created in the 1800's when Milo Burr dammed a stream of the Still River creating a permanent source of waterpower. This water powered America's first condensed milk factory owned by Gail Borden. The pond measures three quarters of a mile long and is part of an 1800 acre recreational park. The area surrounding the park is strewn with boulders left from the mile high ice sheet that passed through this area long ago.




Boat launch at Burr Pond in Burrville, CT
This is the view from the boat launch at Burr Pond. It is a relatively small pond with an 8 mph speed limit and no water skiing. It is great for canoeing and kayaking as there are usually only a few motor boats and they are usually fishing, not cruising.







View of water from under a hemlock tree whose branches are almost touching the water
View of the water from under a hemlock tree.
A large rock on the edge of Burr Pond
One of my favorite places to sit and chill.





Unfortunately there was a lot of tree damage since the last time I was here. I only took a few pictures because it was too heartbreaking to see these magnificent trees snapped in two.
Tree damage at Burr Pond in Burrville, ConnecticutClose up of tree damage at Burr Pond




Luckily the damage was confined mainly to one side of the pond. I was soon reminded that even the damaged trees fullfill a purpose. A beam of sun was shining through a break in the clouds, warming this snag and all of its occupants.
Sunbeam striking a snag nestled amongst the hemlocks

Tree roots clinging to a rock at Burr Pond in CT


Lovely little stream coming from the dam at Burr Pond


View from the dam at Burr Pond

1 comment:

  1. I remember this place so very vividly. I used to fish this pond for trout. Sometimes I would not even fish I would just look at the magnificent views. Thanks for the pictures, this brings back a lot of good memories.

    ReplyDelete