Follow the links below to my other blogs

Thursday, April 23, 2009

UMass McGuirk Stadium and Sunwheel

My general plan was to go check out these rocks in the middle of this field.

UMass Sunwheel

This is the UMass sunwheel project and it is the first of many planned around the world to promote awareness and understanding of astronomy. Apparently after several false starts a preliminary sunwheel was installed in 1997. It took another three years to raise the funds for the current installation. The public is encouraged to attend sunrise and sunset gathering during the solstice and equinox. Check their website for more info and gathering dates.

Now while all of this is interesting it didn't really hold my attention on this windy overcast day. Spring is merely days away and the willow trees in the field were calling me.


Willow trees at the UMass McGuirk stadium field

Willow trees at the UMass McGuirk stadium field in Amherst

Willow trees at the UMass McGuirk stadium field in Amherst, MA

Willow trees at the UMass McGuirk stadium field in Amherst, Massachusetts

Willow trees along brook at UMass McGuirk stadium fieldWillow tree branches against sky

Obviously I love trees. Of the 200 pictures I took over 150 of them were trees. But there were other things to see here. I ended up behind the UMass Warren P. McGuirk Alumni Stadium, with a seating capacity of 17,000. It has been the home of the UMass Minuteman football team since 1965.

UMass Warren P. McGuirk Alumni Stadium in Amherst Mass


I found a beat up football training sled in the middle of the wet field.

Football training sled in UMass McGuirk Stadium field


Of course I went back to taking pictures of trees (and clouds)!

Darkened landscape at Umass

No comments:

Post a Comment