Follow the links below to my other blogs

Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Amethyst Brook Conservation Area

I don't know much about the Amethyst Brook Conservation Area because "The Google" didn't provide much information. But this is what I managed to piece together.

This conservation area encompasses nearly 40 acres along Amethyst Brook in Amherst, Mass. The Robert Frost Trail that runs through it is 33 miles long and stretches from the Holyoke Range State Park to the Mt. Toby Forest in Sunderland.

I also learned that it is one of two parks in Amherst that allow dogs to be leash free. I was thinking that this would be a nice place to run but after learning of the leash free dog rule I think I will go somewhere else. I have had bad luck while running, with leash free dogs. No sense putting myself in the jaws of the beast.

Trailhead sign for Amethyst Brook and the Robert Frost Trail in Amherst, Mass

Speaking of beasts...a large bear sighting. Cool...unless of course you are so close that you can smell the beast. Then maybe not so cool.

Bear warning sign for Mt. Orient at Amethyst Brook

The first of three wooden bridges crossing the Amethyst Brook.

Amethyst Brook wooden bridge

A view of Amethyst Brook

The second wooden bridge.

A wooden bridge crossing Amethyst Brook

A view of Amethyst Brook in Amherst, Mass

I ran across a small patch of Lady's Slippers during my adventure. They are from the orchid family and are sometimes also called Moccasin flower. The Pink Lady's Slipper, like the one below, is the state wildflower of New Hampshire.

One of the really cool things about these flowers is how they germinate. The bright color of the flower or slipper, entices insects to crawl inside the opening in the front. Once inside these insects cannot get out the same way. They must crawl upwards towards the base of the slipper where they pass the stigma and anthers. Hopefully they deposit what pollen they have and pick up more on their way out of the slipper. Isn't Mother Nature awesome.

Close up view of a Pink Lady's Slipper

Next I came across this Labyrinth, at least according to the sign left by "The Keeper". I walked its path and left my token but it really was a spiral more than a Labyrinth. At least as I understand Labyrinths from this book, The Labyrinth Experience. Regardless, it was a nice unexpected spot with a bench nearby and a tree angel watching overhead.

A spiral Labyrinth made of stones in the forest floor

The center of the spiral Labyrinth at Amethyst Brook Conservation area

Interesting tree along the Amethyst Brook trail

Another view of Amethyst Brook in Amherst, MA

The third bridge.

A wooden bridge spanning Amethyst Brook

Another view of Amethyst Brook

Walking further along the trail I came upon another unexpected site, a '56 Ford Fairlane, or rather what was left of it. I don't know how long it has been here but the car was buried in soil half way up its tires. It was pretty neat to see this rusting metal car being slowly eaten up by Mother Nature. Everything returns to nature eventually, despite our best efforts to make our mark upon this world.

An abandoned, rusted Ford Fairlane

The rusted Ford Fairlane in the woods at Amethyst Brook

View of the fender of an abandoned Ford Fairlane

Ahhh, now this is the life.

A colorful hammock along the Amethyst Brook in Amherst Mass

2 comments:

  1. Isn't it great the first time you see that car?? I like your blog. You might like mine as I've explored a lot of little spots too.
    valleykidstuff.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amethyst Woods are haunted... personal experience of myself and friends who lived up the road... I came to your site doing a search on any other info.

    ReplyDelete