Follow the links below to my other blogs

Thursday, April 2, 2009

Discoveries on the Norwottuck Rail Trail

So I discovered today that right behind the Mountain Farms Mall in Hadley, where Penrapture and I often have lunch, there is an access point to the Norwottuck Rail Trail. It is 11 miles and runs through Northampton, Hadley and Amherst. Norwottuck is a Native American term for the area which translates to mean "in the midst of the river".

Map of Route 9 Hadley MA area malls

Now I wasn't expecting much as I drove around the back of the mall. So far all I have seen of this area is Route 9 from Amherst to Northampton, which is malls, fast food resturants and big box stores. I was surprised to see this scene within minutes of starting down the trail.

View of a farm against the Mount Holyoke range from the Norwottuck Rail Trail in Hadley MA

And then this scene greeted me as I crossed South Maple Street. Who would of thought such a beautiful landscape was behind the mall.

Pan of Hadley MA farmland from the Norwottuck Rail Trail with Mount Holyoke range in the distance

View of Hadley MA farmland from the Norwottuck Rail Trail
Walking a little further I spotted this wet area between the bike path and the back of some stores. It was an intriguing spot that invited me to pull up a patch of damp grass and enjoy the warm day and the blue sky. I scared away two ducks in the process.

Wet area behind Rt 9 Hadley stores from the Norwottuck Rail Trail

The water was dark and still as I sat and watched life in this unexpected place. There were tiny red worms squiggling in the shallow water, a beetle coming up for air every few minutes and then burrowing back down in the leaves underwater, birds chattering at me and a little chipmunk scurring around doing his thing. I sat enjoying the peacefulness, taking pictures and rubbing dirt in my journal (that is a story for another post someday).

View of tree tops from Norwottuck Rail Trail in Hadley MA


Image of a leaf floating in still water with trees reflected on the surface

I think I should start moving to a new area once every decade or so, just so I can discover new wonders. I wish I had time to post all of the places I go and things I see but I would never get any other work done. I am looking forward to all the discoveries I have yet to make here in the Pioneer Valley.


"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to."
JRR Tolkien

1 comment:

  1. I've lived in this area over ten years and have never explored this trail. Now I'm looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete