Follow the links below to my other blogs

Friday, May 15, 2009

Forestdale Cemetery

Penrapture and I decided to take a break from all that sewing on Friday night to visit the Forestdale Cemetery. She did a thought provoking blog about life and death and the meaning of such things. Walking around a cemetery certainly should make you think of your own mortality and your place on this earth.

Vine covered headstone at the Forestdale Cemetery in Holyoke, Mass

I however, was distracted from all that by the trees. The glorious, magnificent, wondrous trees of Forestdale Cemetery. This cemetery was organized in 1880 and dedicated in 1882 so it has some nice old trees in it. The big oaks, maples and beech trees are beautiful. When I stand next to them I am in awe of their size and glory. Trees represent knowledge, power and grace. And yes, they are a link to the Heavens and the Earth.


Roadside tree with setting sun behind it at Forestdale Cemetery
Beech tree at Forestdale Cemetery in Holyoke, MA


Ok, I'm a tree-hugger. I can't help but to lay my hands upon their bark and silently say hello. I am reminded of just how small and insignificant we are as humans through their size and strength yet I am one with the universe through their spirit and connection to all living things.



Think Like A Tree
Soak up the sun
Affirm life's magic
Be graceful in the wind
Stand tall after a storm
Feel refreshed after it rains
Grow strong without notice
Be prepared for each season
Provide shelter to strangers
Hang tough through a cold spell
Emerge renewed at the first signs of spring
Stay deeply rooted while reaching for the sky
Be still long enough to
hear your own leaves rustling.

by Karen I. Shragg

2 comments:

  1. Hurrah for tree-huggers and dirt worshipers and people who know the proper name of cemeteries!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome pic of the twisted tree. That's a framer...

    ReplyDelete