Follow the links below to my other blogs

Saturday, July 18, 2009

Vermont vacation - Day 2

The rain has stopped, at least for now. There is even some sun peaking through the clouds now and then. After a nice cup of tea and more reading I decide to check out the campsite and the rest of the campground.

The site is a good size, plenty of room to park and put up tents without crowding the table and fire pit. There are some interesting twisted trees near the lean-to but the weird part is the nicely planted rows of pine trees filling in between the campsite and the upper road. Not exactly pristine forest but it will do.

My Jeep Cherokee with 170,000 miles on it in front of some twisted trees at the Half Moon Pond State Park Campground in VermontA stand of planted pines at the Ginkgo campsite at Half Moon Pond campground

Half Moon Pond State Park campground has 52 regular sites, 11 lean-to sites, 5 cabins which are very cute and one full size cottage. They also have beaver huts like the one below although I don’t think they rent these out to humans.

A beaver hut on Half Moon Pond in Hubbardton, Vermont
This is a view of Half Moon Pond from the boat launch area. It is a nice little pond and a nice clean, quiet campground. It should be as it is in the middle of nowhere.

Scenic view of Half Moon Pond in Hubbardton, VT
Back at the campground I settled in for more reading. This is probably my last few hours of alone time so I plan on taking advantage. Three-quarters of the way through my book I decide I should finish setting up the campsite. I really only needed to set up a canopy over the table. I like my campsite relatively simple. The whole point is to get away from the chaos.

The Gingko campsite at Half Moon Pond State Park
Just as I was finishing up with the tarp Dave arrived. He showed off his boy scout skills by starting the fire. The tinder was still wet from the rain so it took more than one match but he succeeded and we had a nice fire for awhile.

Dave starting a campfire
We decided to go find something to eat just before sunset. As we drove by this pond I had to stop to take pictures. The ponds surface was like glass. The trees and sky were reflected in it like a mirror.

Beautiful scenic view of Austin Pond
We stopped at the Lakehouse Pub & Grill for a nice meal outside on the dock. The sun was setting behind the mountains and the boats were bobbing on the water. It was very picturesque, and me without my camera. There was also a local band playing and fireworks going off across the pond but the band wasn't that good and the fireworks were hidden by the trees. Still it was an enjoyable evening.

Night picture of the Lakehouse Pub & Grill on Lake Bomoseen in Vermont

2 comments:

  1. Your picture of the pond reflecting the trees and sky is incredibly beautiful. And I don't believe I've ever seen a more neat and organized camp site. Wish I could've made it up there. Next time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just went to Half Moon Campground and it was just wonderful! The staff is so nice! My family and I loved it so much we are going back in August!

    ReplyDelete